Choosing the Right Method to Remove Mold from Wood Surfaces
Wood easily soak up and retain water, making it prone to mold growth and fungal contamination.
When wooden furniture has mold spores, it gives off a musty odor and poses health risks to you.
Mold increases your chance of having allergic reactions and developing respiratory conditions such as asthma.
So, before it even permeates your lumber, trim, or furniture, make sure that you prevent it.
Otherwise, you might have to hire a mold removal professional to treat it after a storm event.
Here’s how to remove mold from wood surfaces assuming that the mold covers a relatively small area.
Put on Protection and Make Precautions
In order to keep yourself from getting in contact with mold here are a few things to remember.
- Wear an air mask or a respirator to prevent inhaling mold spores.
- Do not let mold come in contact with your skin.
- Make sure your safety goggles do not have air vents.
- Coveralls can protect you from mold exposure.
- This is especially helpful to those who are moderately sensitive to mold.
- Turn on the fan, and open the windows and doors.
You can always rely on protective gear to take care of you, if you take care of the gear.
Remember to make sure that your PPE is in proper working order whenever you use it.
Vacuum the wood, prior to applying the Cleaning Solution
Use a HEPA-filter vacuum to remove any loose mold spores that might get airborne while you clean the surface.
Aside from damp cloth or rag, you can also use a scrub pad, spray bottle or a low-abrasive brush.
Apply the cleaning solution lightly, but enough to cover the mold-affected surface.
The excessive solution can add to the wood’s dampness which is what we are preventing in the first place.
Scrub the moldy wood after having left the solution to sit for a couple of minutes.
Repeat the process until you remove the mold spores from the wood.
If you are concerned about discoloration, test the solution in a small area of the wood first.
Let It Dry
Once the wood is free from mold, clean the area and throw away anything that came in contact with it.
You can try to clean them with hot water and proper detergent.
Speed up the drying process by keeping the wood somewhere with good ventilation or under the sun.
You can also place a dehumidifier in the room where the wood is to keep the humidity levels low.
Sometimes, mold would still be visible even after scrubbing it with solution and letting it dry.
If your home is already dealing with a mold contamination contact our experts with ASAP Restoration today!