You’ve probably learned about mold during your science class and about the most popular one called Penicillium. One of the world’s most famous antibiotic derives from that mold. We’ve all seen green mold or fuzzy mold on our bread, fruit or some other type of food. But how many of us have actually seen mold that has been developing in our bathrooms, behind the sink in our kitchen or on the walls of our basement. And what do we know about mold infestation and how to handle it?
Mold in your home can cause serious structural damages and can be a huge health hazard. I you don’t know much about mold, keep on reading. And if you have a problem with mold infestation in your home, contact ASAP Restoration today!
Interesting facts about mold infestation
- In order to grow, mold requires a damp, moist or humid and warm environment. It can grow both indoors and outdoors. Outdoors it can grow on soil, vegetation or decaying material. Inside it can grow anywhere where the conditions are suitable e.g. behind the kitchen sink, in the corner of the bathroom, on the walls of the basement etc.
- Mildew and mold aren’t that different. Mildew is actually the earliest form of mold that we can generally see outdoor, on the leaves of plants. It’s looks like a grey, powdery stuff.
- Indoor mold is classified into four large groups: penicillium, alternaria, aspergillus and cladosporium.
- Mold that can manifest in your home usually looks greenish-gray, black, gray or brownish-green.
- Mold is basically a fungi and it spreads with the help of its spores, which are basically seeds of mold that can grow new colonies.
- Not all types of molds are harmless. In fact, some mold spores contain dangerous toxins which can cause serious health issues if you inhale them. If you have mold allergy, a compromised immune system or you suffer from asthma, you should avoid being exposed to mold. If you notice it in your home, contact the professionals for mold remediation and damage restoration.
- Everyone reacts differently when exposed to mold. Some may not develop any symptoms, while others might experience headaches, fever, cough and other fly-like symptoms. It can also trigger an asthma attack.
- Black mold, which has more like a dark green and black color, usually forms if the interior has suffered serious water damage. This is one of the most dangerous molds so it should be removed as soon as possible in order to avoid property damage and health problems.
- Regularly ventilation or even using a bathroom fan (to suck out the excess moisture from the room) can be really beneficial in minimizing the risk of infestation. The less the humidity, the harder it will grow.
- If you notice a musty or mildew-y smell in your basement, don’t think that is natural and normal. It’s not. It means that there’s a change of an infestation and that you need to hire professional to investigate and remove it. It’s most likely that you have a burst pipe or leaking foundation.
- If you notice that same type of smell in your home, it’s important to locate the source and clean it thoroughly.
- In order to inhibit mold growth, you should keep the indoor humidity below 45%.
- If you notice signs of condensation on windows, doors or other hard surfaces, then this could be a sign of high level of humidity in your home.
- It takes 24-48 hours for mold to start growing indoors after water damage.
- Mildew easily develops on cardboard, books and fabrics. Old clothes should be stored in a water-resistant container instead of boxes.
- You can clean mildew with a dry cloth or fabric.
- Sometimes it’s hard to locate where the mold infestation is since it can grow in various places such as your HVAC system.
- To reduce the risk of infestation, you can add mold inhibitors to your paint before you paint the walls of your home.
- If you need professional mold remediation service, contact ASAP Restoration today!