In our previous post, we started talking about some of the most common misconceptions and myths about black mold (and all other kinds of mold). So, let’s continue.
Worry about black mold after water damage
Our previous post did say that mold needs a humid environment in order to survive. And many people think that they only need to worry about mold when there’s a water leak in their home or after flooding or water damage. But that’s not entirely true.
A humid environment can arise even without water leak or flooding. Lack of proper ventilation for example in your bathroom or laundry room, kitchen or the basement is enough to create a humid environment, ideal for black mold. Rooms that have high level of heat and some water can be perfect for mold infestation.
Small amount of mold isn’t that bad
You might think that small blotches of mold aren’t something you should be concerned about. However, smaller colonies can often be a sign of something much bigger like a bigger mold colony that is behind your wallpaper or the insulation behind the wall.
As soon as you notice a small colony of black mold, make sure that you contact a mold expert immediately to assess the problem. With timely reaction, you can potentially avoid spending a lot more money, when that tiny colony grows into a big problem.
You can get rid of black mold yourself
There are tons for DIY websites, tutorials and guides on how to get rid of black mold yourself. Some suggest to just scrub it off, others might tell you to use bleach and so on. But there are some serious problems with these DIY tips and tricks.
The first one is that, even though some of these DIY methods will help you remove the visible signs of a black mold colony, you can’t really reach those deep crevices where the mold has taken root. And if you don’t get it all, it will resurface eventually and you have to do everything all over again. Household products aren’t as effective as professional tools/chemicals that mold experts use.
The second issue is that the household items might actually do more harm than good. For example, they can further break down the surface the black mold was feeding on, making it easier for the mold colony to spread.
And finally, when working with household items, such as bleach, you aren’t wearing the necessary gear to protect your health. Even though bleach might not be strong enough to kill all the mold spores, it can be harmful for your own health.
This is why it’s important to leave this to the professionals. They have the necessary knowledge, tools and experience that can make your home mold-free. If you want to do something, do it right.
Out of sight, out of mind
If you think that you can forget about black mold once you got rid of it, guess again. Even if you dedicated an incredible amount of effort to get rid of black mold, you can’t relax and think that it will never manifest again.
We mentioned that mold spores are floating in the air, all the time and once they find a suitable environment in which they can survive, they will set roots.
Once you’ve gotten rid of the black mold in your home, you need to make sure that you’re taking all the necessary steps in order to minimize the risk of re-surfacing. So make sure that you have proper ventilation, reduce the humidity of that room and make sure that there’s no standing water.
We hope that this will clear up some of the myths and misconceptions about black mold and all other types of molds. IF you’ve notices tiny colonies in the corner of your kitchen or bathroom for example, contact ASAP Restoration and let us assess the problem and take care of it for you!