Licensed, Bonded & Insured AZ ROC #256351

Common Black Mold Misconceptions – Part 1

common misconceptions about black mold

Even though black mold can be quite common in the majority of households, it’s quite surprising how misunderstood it can be.

If you search online for answers about black mold, you can be confused pretty easily. Especially if you’re worried that it will pop up in your home or it already has.

Different sites, offer different solutions to this problem. Some might suggest that you can get rid of it by common household cleaning items, while others say that you need to tear down all the walls. Reliable facts, based on science and actual experience with black mold are really hard to come by. And because of these confusing tips and tricks, people don’t really know how to deal with this issue.

So in order to combat this problem, we are debunking some common misconceptions about black mold so that you have the right knowledge and can make a proper decision on how to proceed.

Black mold is really rare

One of the first myths/misconceptions about mold is that it’s pretty rare. Well, that’s not entirely true. Actually, it’s not true at all.

Mold is all round us and it’s part of our lives. Spores of mold, which you can’t see with your naked eye, float around in the air. But in order to take hold, it requires a specific environment, mostly humid and with organic matter.

If you think that you can get rid of mold altogether, you’re mistaken. But you can prevent it from putting down roots. Every homeowner should take the necessary steps in order to avoid having the ideal environment for black mold infestation.

The only dangerous mold is black mold

When you hear someone say “black mold” they are usually referring to a mold called stachybotrys chartarum, which is a toxigenic mold that releases toxic substances. However, don’t be fooled into thinking that only black mold or dark-shaded mold can be toxic.

Many other types of molds, that aren’t black, can be harmful for your health e.g. green, yellow or white. And some dark molds aren’t that dangerous for your health.

The only sure way you can know what type of mold are you dealing with, and how dangerous it is, is to call an expert to analyze a sample.

Mold is toxic

Not every type of mold is toxic. And yet, even if a mold isn’t toxic, that doesn’t mean that it can’t be harmful for your health.

Toxicity is referring to how your body would react when it comes into contact with mold. Healthy adults, usually don’t have any type of reaction if the come into contact with mold.

The toxigenic characteristic of a mold, mostly depends on the size of the colony as well as the materials it has been feeding on. Once the colony is big enough (and it has been feeding on toxigenic materials) it will start changing the air quality in your home, making it unsafe for everyone, especially if they are vulnerable to respiratory problems.

If you have asthma, you are at higher risk of mold-related health problems

Yet another fine-line misconceptions that is partially true.

It is true that people that already have respiratory problems, such as asthma, are more vulnerable and susceptible to health problems caused by black mold (or other kinds of mold).

But even healthy grown-ups can be affected by black mold and can display various symptoms such as coughing, sore throat, dizziness etc.

Lack of ventilation where the mold is growing can make the mold grow faster and likely lead to health problems.

We will continue with debunking black mold myths in our next article. Stay tuned!

 

Drop a message

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.