Most people do not actually realize how serious of a threat mold can be. Although illnesses caused by it are becoming more and more of a problem, symptoms of mold exposure are often taken lightly, most even assume that these symptoms are just from a cold or hay fever.
Mold on walls should not be a cause of panic. Indeed, mold can be a health threat and structural hazard, but as long as you know how to remove mold from walls, you’ll be all right. Mold-infested walls are usually easy to treat. If the infested wall is non-porous, you can easily remove the mold with a wet cloth and/or a mold-killing solution. If it is porous, however, it is likely that you will have to cut away the mold-infested area and replace it.
Black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, is a toxic species of mold that can cause severe symptoms and life-threatening health problems that includes breathing problems, mental impairment, and internal organ damage. That’s why it is very important to determine whether or not the mold in your home is toxic.
Mold can be very sneaky. They can thrive in every nook and cranny that is damp, moist or wet. It is typical for mold to show up in basements or behind drywall, but what isn’t is that it also appears in unexpected areas of your house—from the chimney to your washing machine—making it more difficult to detect and wipe out.